Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Whelmed.

I know what overwhelmed is and I've heard of underwhelming. Is anybody ever just whelmed? I'm going to start saying that. When people ask me how I am, I'm going to say, "Whelmed." The lack of squiggly red lines in this paragraph mean it's a word, so maybe I should look it up.

Huh. Apparently it means "to cover completely in water" and it's also a synonym for "overwhelmed". Maybe that is what I am. Whelmed.

I've spent the last two mornings getting up at five to drive out to UAB for the Thyrogen injections. That's five hours of driving each day. It's completely worth it, though, because I got home in time to pick up my kids from school.

My kids. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to be away from them for a whole week. I've never been apart from my kids or my husband for that long. I'm not looking forward to it.

I am looking forward to eating tomorrow. I hear that I get to eat whatever I want after the radioactive pill goes down. After two weeks on the low iodine diet, I've packed my hospital bag with chocolate and cheezits in anticipation of the glorious moment when I get the all-clear to put iodine in my body again.

I'll also start back on my synthetic thyroid hormone at the hospital. The Thyrogen shots combined with going completely off the meds because of those recent test results has completely thrown me for a loop. I know it's not logical and I know that it's completely related to my hormones being thrown out of whack, but I'm struggling tonight. This is harder than I thought it would be. I don't know how to describe it. It's like my feelings are broken and fluctuate independently of any real events.

Its like, a unicorn could walk up on the porch and knock on the door, and I'd be like, "Meh." But then, I could find a dime on the floor and I'd be like, "Holy crap! A dime! I am the luckiest person EVER! This is ten cents, y'all!"

And I'm tired. And I have to get up at five again tomorrow. 'Night, world.

No comments:

Post a Comment