Monday, April 22, 2013

I've Spent the Last Few Days Building Up An Immunity to Iodine...

It's radiation week! We'll see how it actually plays out. If you have a moment, please pray for no side effects from the Thyrogen tomorrow and Tuesday.

In preparation for the big day, I've been on the low iodine diet for a week and a half now. Can I just say... it sucks. It sucks real real hard. Think about what you ate yesterday. Now, take away everything that was pre-packaged, cooked with salt, or contained: egg yolks, dairy, rice, soy, or more than six ounces of meat. Do you have anything left?

I miss dairy products. And cereal. And restaurants. And chocolate. Oh, chocolate.

It sucks to go to a baseball game and not get a hot dog. It sucks for teacher appreciation week to actually be observed at school with delicious treats and not get to try even a bite. You know what else sucks? Almonds. I swear, if I see one more plain almond... blergh.

But, for whatever reason, my fingernails have grown really long and strong on low iodine... so it balances... except that it doesn't really balance at all.

I should really stop feeling sorry for myself. It's only for two weeks, and the two weeks are almost over anyway. Plus, I've got Doss who can make anything better. Even low iodine diets. Check it out:


He made those yeasty rolls of awesome. And biscuits. And tons of other things without egg yolks, dairy, or iodized salt that somehow still tasted good.

Everything Doss has made out of the low iodine cookbook has been good. I'm lucky. I know it. I can't imagine how people handle this whole thing without a Doss.

No comments:

Post a Comment